Frequently Asked Questions

Q) Do I need to find an experienced preceptor before I apply or can this be done later on in my studies when needed?
(A) You do not need to find a preceptor before beginning the course. You will need a preceptor before beginning your skills training.
This is different for the students in the state of Alaska. You will need a preceptor listed when you send in your student contract.

(Q) In your experience, do Canadian graduates have troubles with certification back in Ontario?
(A) Via Vita can be taken anywhere the PEP (Portfolio Evaluation Process) is accepted as a becoming a Certified Professional Midwife.

11701192_709262511270_7570458157041070846_n(Q) How many modules are typically taken at once? Once I have started, is there a deadline for completing the course?

(A) There are 55 modules in this course. You will have 4 years to complete the course even though many complete it in two years.

(Q) How long would it usually take to complete one module?
(A) Everyone works at a different pace. Some take under a year to complete the written course work and others take longer due to the time they can spend on the course.

(Q) I don’t live in Alaska or Texas can I still take this course?
(A) Via Vita can be taken anywhere the PEP (Portfolio Evaluation Process) is accepted as a becoming a Certified Professional Midwife.

(Q) Can I get a 1098-T for my taxes?
(A) The Via Vita School of Midwifery cannot issue IRS form 1098-T because we are not a Title IV school.  Via Vita does not qualify for this because we do not have a physical campus.

(Q) Can I use my financial aid for Via Vita?
(A) Most financial aid does not cover Via Vita. We do offer a scholarship each year.

(Q) I just graduated high school, do I have to take anything before taking this course?
(A) No, but taking childbirth education, Anatomy and Physiology, CPR, Neonatal Resuscitation or other classes/courses will help you.

(Q) I just want to be a midwife (CPM). Do I have to be a LVN or RN first?
(A) No, you can be a direct entry midwife if that is what your state allows. If you plan to work in a hospital setting you may want to look into becoming a Certified Nurse Midwife.

Businesswoman writing on a form

(Q) What other classes or courses can I take to compliment becoming a midwife?
(A) We always encourage furthering your education no matter what you want to do after you complete Via Vita. Taking a course or class in any of the following will only improve your knowledge and skills:  Emergency Medical Technician, LVN, RN, Child Birth Educator, Lactation Consultant, Doula Training, Anatomy and Physiology, Medical Terminology, Massage Therapy, Mayan Abdominal Massage, Homeopathics, Herbology, Human Nutrition or Phlebotomy.

Q) Once I am done with my Via Vita course, what will I need to do to begin practicing as a midwife?

(A) A full list of the CPM Certification requirements are found here:

Graduates will need to complete the NARM’s (North American Registry of Midwives) Portfolio Evaluation Process (PEP). MMCI’s CPM Program is designed to thoroughly prepare students for the NARM exam, and we will assist graduates in organizing their portfolios for PEP (see for complete PEP process guidelines).

(Q) After I pass my NARM exam where can I get my own equipment and supplies?

11738027_948726728483042_8892403901615333554_n(A) Here is a list of some companies where you can begin purchasing your birth equipment and supplies.
In His Hands:

Cascade Health Supplies:

Precious Arrows:

Birth With Love:

Everything Birth:

(Q) I found some of the textbooks online for a $1. But it’s an older edition, are these okay to use?
(A) While the older textbooks are great reference books, your course curriculum should be done using the latest midwifery textbooks. The NARM exam will be based on the latest information not outdated textbooks.


Skip to toolbar